Stratasys unveiled its new 3D printer, the J55 Prime Polyjet 3D Printer, in 2020.
The PolyJet system aims to produce in-house “enterprise-quality” prototypes at a third of the cost of industrial-grade competitors. It is targeted at professional designers and engineers. The J55, according to Stratasys, is a more compact but equally effective counterpart to the company’s well-known J8 line of PolyJet machines. The J55 might become the new standard for quick, high-fidelity part creation thanks to its full-color capabilities and simple operation.
The J55 Prime 3D printer makes PolyJet Technology‘s efficiency and quality more affordable and office-friendly than ever before by introducing full color and high fidelity with tactile, functional, and sensory features. Replace hand-painting methods with brilliant color finishes to save hours of work and create over 640,000 possible combinations, including Pantone Verified colors. Create everything, from quick design iterations to top-notch final prototypes, all through a compact, small, and odorless process.
“We know that the risk and time involved with traditional prototyping simply doesn’t work anymore, yet there’s no room for compromise on design. Designers can and should do a lot more prototyping in-house, from initial concept modeling to highly realistic final prototypes. It’s just been a matter of bringing enterprise quality to a design shop’s price point and workspace. And now we’re there.” these were the words of Tim Green, a 3D printing research director at research firm IDC. He evidently had the J55 Prime in mind when uttering those words.
The J55 Prime
The J55 Prime can print five different materials simultaneously (plus a support material), allowing for around 500,000 different color combinations. Designers now have a “best in class” tool to create their models thanks to additional Pantone certification, which encourages confidence in the realistic textures and high-resolution parts.
The newest system from Stratasys takes pleasure in its usability and boasts a three-step color 3D printing workflow (design, import, print). Users may easily import 3MF 3D files from popular CAD programs like SolidWorks and Inventor, thanks to GrabCAD Print’s full support. It is also possible to start and manage print jobs from home thanks to remote monitoring capability.
The J55 is extremely quiet, operating at under 53 decibels, which is comparable to a home refrigerator, and this is due to its revolutionary rotating build platform. The system’s physical footprint is as small as its audial footprint, needing just 4.6 square feet of floor space. The J55 has a high print tray-to-body ratio, maximizing yield while minimizing clutter. The machine is equipped with a ProAero Air Extractor to efficiently filter out printing fumes, making it safer and odor-free for indoor usage.
Technical specifications and pricing
The Stratasys J55’s technical details are listed below. The system is currently on sale for roughly $99,000, and you can buy the 3D printer here
- Model materials: VeroCyanV, VeroMagentaV, VeroYellowV, VeroPureWhite, VeroBlackPlus, VeroClear, DraftGrey.
- Support materials: SUP710
- Material cartridge slots: 5 (+support)
- Build area: 71.6 inches²
- Build volume: 1,340 inches³
- Layer thickness: 18 microns
- Network connectivity: LAN – TCP/IP
- System size: 651 x 661 x 1551mm
- System weight: 228kg
- Regulatory compliance: CE, FCC, EAC
- Software: GrabCAD Print
- Build modes: High-Quality Speed – 18.75 microns
- Accuracy: Deviation ±0.15 – 0.2% of part length
The J55 Prime offers a variety of materials that can be tactile, opaque, flexible, transparent, or rigid to meet all of your design requirements. You can load up to five materials simultaneously and print components with several colors or shore levels thanks to J55 Prime multi-material capabilities. There is no requirement for hand painting due to the vast array of color and texture combinations available.
Superior opacity, color uniformity, contrast, and sharpness.
The model can be enhanced with incredibly accurate labels, graphics, and text to replicate silkscreen printing or printed stickers. The new opaque colors make it possible to simulate premium injection-molded parts perfectly. These new colors provide strong color contrast and color separation while still adhering to 2D graphics standards.
VeroUltra White and VeroUltra Black, along with PolyJet Vivid colors, enable the production of highly skilled full-color models with realistic finishes. Welcome to full-color modeling’s next level.
- Toys & Figurines: High-fidelity modeling with excellent color separation and precise details simulation is required for the toy industry and figurine manufacture.
- Consumer Electronics | Automotive: Ideal solution for modeling fine thin plastic designs with textures that simulate natural materials such as fabrics or wood. Enhanced exhibition model offering with transparent parts, backlit panel, and buttons for modern car design
- Packaging: Ideal for both straightforward and intricate packaging, from concept to finished design, with all textures, text, and logos included.
- Consumer Goods: Consumer products can be modeled with the maximum level of realism for the look and A/B testing using saturated colors, smooth tones, and fine textures.
Elastico is an excellent rubber-like PolyJet photopolymer family that is great for speedy prototyping and advanced design verification. Get more durable, tear-resistant prototypes that can withstand repetitive bending and flexing with this Polyjet Material. Elastico accurately replicates rubber-like products’ appearance, feel, and functionality with a Shore A value of 45 in clear and black. Elastico will also give you 3D print rubber surrounds, over-molds, soft-touch coatings, living hinges, jigs and fixtures, wearables, grips, and seals with enhanced surface texture.
- Tooling: For toolings like knobs, jigs, grips, seals, gaskets, hoses, and handles, elastico is ideal.
- Sporting goods: The ideal answer for a mask or various sporting products and equipment.
- General prototyping: Improved offering for rubber-like components, surrounds, or over-molding simulations mixing both Vero/Digital materials.
3. Digital ABS Plus
Realistic, accurate parts and tools that are tough and can withstand heat are produced using Digital ABS Plus. ABS Plus offers high impact strength, high-temperature resistance, and exceptional finish. It is made to mimic enduring production plastics.
By combining toughness and high-temperature resistance, Digital ABS Plus mimics the properties of standard ABS plastics. Suitable for parts requiring the best possible impact resistance from PolyJet technology, Digital ABS Plus enhances parts’ mechanical and thermal performance and prototypes for design verification and functional performance testing.